EAST MEETS WEST with this collaboration between Tamiya of Japan and Italeri of Italy.
SMN report: Tamiya has taken the excellent 1:32 scale Italeri Lockheed Martin F-35A kit, and used it as the basis for a Limited Edition of the aircraft in Japanese military markings.
As with most modern military aircraft, this F-35A has a monotone marking scheme, consisting of plain grey with a lighter grey-blue for the radome and assorted panels. Note that even the normally blood-red Japanese rising sun roundel has been reduced to a pale circle. The F-35A has them on the wings, and beside the air intakes on each side of the fuselage.
The finished model is on the big side, measuring nearly a half-metre long, 19 inches to lovers of Imperial measurements. That's large enough, we reckon, to merit a diorama, even a minimal one. Perhaps a section of tarmac and a figure or two would do the job, if only to give a sense of scale. However, with or without a diorama, this F-35A will look the biz when displayed.
According to Tamiya, the kit includes these features:
- The next-generation stealth fighter F-35A is also planned for deployment by the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF).
- This product takes the Italeri masterpiece kit of the F-35A and pairs it with JASDF marking decals.
- The kit includes a choice of tyre parts - existing compressed ones, and new uncompressed ones.
- Includes highly detailed engine and cockpit equipment, plus a wealth of ordnance.
- Comes with markings for six different air forces.
- Photo-etch component sheets are also included.
Tamiya: Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II
Assembled length: 490 mm (19 in)